Uglum to Receive SPE Honored Service Award
Paul Uglum, SPE Decorating and Assembly Division chair, will be recognized as an Honored Service Member during a special presentation at ANTEC on Sunday, May 22. Only 322 members, including the current inductees, have received Honored Service Member recognition since the honor was established in 1992. To be chosen, a candidate must have demonstrated long-term, outstanding service to, and support of, the Society and its objectives.
Uglum earned his bachelors in chemistry from Wartburg College and a masters in chemistry from Purdue University. He has 39 years experience in various aspects of plastic materials, plastic decoration, joining and failure analysis. He is a technical fellow at Delphi and the technology advocate for appearance technologies (global part decoration) at Delphi Electronics and Safety. Current responsibilities include technology development for automotive interior applications globally, coatings development and coatings failure analysis.
Uglum served as chairman and technical chair for the Decorating & Assembly Division. He has served on ASTM committees and various other professional societies. Uglum has presented multiple papers and has twice lead teams to win the SPE Automotive Divisions Grand Award for the most innovative use of plastics in the automotive industry. He holds several patents related to the compounding and applications of plastics.
Five other industry leaders will be recognized as Honored Service Members:
- Dr. Brian Grady, University of Oklahoma faculty member in the School of Chemical, Biological and Materials Engineering and currently the Conoco-DuPont Professor of Chemical Engineering.
- Dr. Hoang T. Pham, currently working at Avery Dennison, with research in films for labels and specialty packaging. Previously, Dr. Pham spent more than 22 years at The Dow Chemical Company.
- Dr. Antoine Rios, partner and senior managing engineer at The Madison Group, with work focusing on plastics failure analysis, composites, forensic analysis and part design.
- Gerald (Gary) W. Taylor, currently retired after a career of 44 years in the plastic industry with Kent Industries and the Akro-Mils Division of Myers Industries.
- Bill Windscheif, founder and president of Advanced Innovative Solutions, a specialty consulting company, and formerly manager of the Automotive Business Unit for Flint Hills Resources (formerly Huntsman LLC) and vice president of global business for Basell Advanced Polyolefins.